Sunday, April 13, 2008

Calling me Names

For some time, it occurred to me why people call me names? If I may, I’d like to share the names people have called me out. They name me names, which I may appreciate but most often I don’t.

But such name they call me, may picture how they view me as I am. I do not blame them of course. But perhaps we could learn something from it.

From the day that I was born, I was called Roldan, a name which I continue to think and find out what it means. I’ve found out later the name Dan means Judge, from “Daniel”, which means “The Lord is Judge”. And now I ask, “what about Rol? Haha! It’s quite funny how I think. But I believe sometimes the name defines who you are. Some statistics say the name you carry, 80% or something really has an impact or effect on your character or person. It may be just a name, but it is who you are.

From my early stage of childhood, one name that stick to me or is branded to me was of course, the name people tease me off. The name “Dentot” or “Dandansoy tokak” (and try to sing a familiar song). I do not know how it came about. But perhaps they picture me as a clumsy person before. Or maybe it’s just a simple joke, to tease me around, which most kids of Loakanian are fondly of doing it. Many kids do experience being branded by names, so often, by anyone of us. But a very bad practice I believe. ‘Cause most often, what you teach to a child will definitely stick to their hearts and minds and definitely will carry it as they grow old. We are all guilty of that. But hopefully we could start doing something for a change, ‘cause once a bad thought is registered to a child’s mind, it may corrupt the person in itself. And only by God’s grace one life could be turned around.

As I grew and perhaps on my high school days one person was fond of calling me “Father”. A name which I believe is given to a priest amongst a religious denomination or of course to your dad. Sometimes I think it pictures one who is like a saint or one who brings his two palms together and a halo is above his head. Of course I didn’t like it being called as one. It’s uncomfortable. But of course I couldn’t blame the person, for such that the person sees in my actions. I live simply to be a Christian. To stand for what I believe in. But sadly I wasn’t able to share those things that I believe on. I was the quiet person at that time, the silent-type personality; most people would brand me of. I could be so quite and could never speak even for two days (Hahaha!… I believe so... but that was then, now I know how to write... Hahaha!)

Then the familiar name “Amang” as so many was fondly of calling me of. Of course, I still was uncomfortable of it. I felt so old, which perhaps they did see on me still on my actions. I acted like an older person perhaps. But maybe I’m wrong on the matter. If I could remember, I put an eyebrow up whenever I’m called as such. The name started to branch out and spread around. And as I have said, Loakanians are fond of doing it. It even got to my mother, and didn’t like it too. Of course, my parents are the ones who gave me my name, why change it? But I understood it was just for fun. I just hope it will not lead on offending others. But if you will ask me “Am I offended? I would lie if not, but such offenses are deniable and easy to forget for the sake of friendship. I cherish and value friendship more than offenses. Anyway, such is just a little offense, but be watchful, it depends on who the recipient is.

When I got to college, I was branded by other names, though they weren’t loakanians no more. It just proves that people are really fond of calling people names. The name was quite flattering, but still unworthy of. One called me leader, as I was their leader at that time in a group… Whenever they call me, they say “Leader... leader…” Weird, but I can not allow myself to be filled with pride. ‘Cause I know I am not worthy of such. One person was also fond of calling everyone who is good in computer matters, called me too “master.” Definitely, unworthy of… Who am I to be called as such? I felt robbing God’s title, Who is supposed to be our only “Master”.

These are some of the names I could remember, and some I’d rather not share. This thing I shared is not to get back in the past and pinpoint offences or anything, but simply want to share an insight, especially an insight on why do we Christians call God, Names. And, why He is worthy of such Names.

I remember the Song “Name of Names” from the “Experiencing God the Musical.” This is what I desire to pinpoint. That God has so many names, His people name Him. Not to joke around of course, but the fact that they know their God. They know Him as He is. And they know Him, through out their experiences with Him as their God; Our God! And He is worthy of such names: Master, Savior, the Lion of Judah, the Lamb to the slaughter, the Messiah, the Great Provider, the Comforter, the Healer, our Lord Almighty.

Through out these names, “Who is God in your life?” You know one thing to check if you have a good and clear relationship with God, is that having that heart to call Him a name which is rightfully His and that you know to yourself, you have experienced it. And of course, one starts by calling Him Savior and Lord. Savior, the One Who saves us from the punishment of sin. And Lord, the One Who is the Lord, King, Master of our life. By these two names, can we really call Him as He is in our lives?

I believe it is a worthless thing to do or even dangerous, by calling someone a name, yet we know not why we are calling him that name.

Luke 6:45
A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

* * * * * * * *

(u-uy tutulad... kunyari columnist ng midland.. hahahaha!...) Anyway, just want to thank all the people who have greeted me and made my birthday a special day for me.. :) ..... thanks...

No comments: