Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Knowing and doing God's Will

It has always been a question I've heard and also have been my personal question every now and then... Though I must say God has already revealed His answer to this question. But how come I always ask this question?

Well I think 1) We are still in our fleshly being cursed by sin. Romans 7:15 says "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do."... There is still a battle within a Christian, who even if given his life or surrendered his life, the battle does not end 'till death comes; 'till we are separated from our fleshly bodies. 2) our fellow brethren too gives a factor. The biggest factor when it comes to others, is that, there is none who gives a great example, a life example of how does one know and follow the will of God... if there are, they are rare! So few, that at times nobody even notice or even appreciate.. or simply we often do not care... Much more hardest is when those people whom you expect to be examples, falter or fail in fulfilling the Will of God. The craziest idea I believe at this period of time when it comes to God's Will is that Christian thinks God's Will is a Trial-and-Error test. Well, they will try things and see if everything works well, they will conclude that, that is God's Will!!! But if I would look at God's Word... NEVER has the Word of God declare such! God's Will has always been revealed in His Word, or often He instructs us always of what to do, and gives us the choice of obeying and following His Will.

I must say, there are those people who would claim, that God's Will which is revealed on His Word is only for the general mass of Christians. Whereas, Christians are looking for the specific Will of God for themselves. Well, surely God's Word has not given any specifics for every Christians... But I honestly believe God has given an instruction for that and also I believe God still allows His people to choose whether they would obey it or not. Though people would probably debate on this matter, but anyway, let the Word of God speak, if it must.

"And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." (Romans 12:2, KJV)

"Delight thyself also in the Lord: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart." (Psalm 37:4, KJV)

These verses have really captured my eyes in understanding God's Will. There are those who might agree, there may be some who does not. But anyway, first thing is first. Knowing God's Will I believe starts from the heart of God.... If indeed we want to know His will for us, then let us start with Him and not with us or with others or with any other options or chances. Start with God's Heart. What is His delight? What is His desire? You see even the Word of God says "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" (Jer. 17:9)... Therefore our heart is not the main focus or starting point of every decision we ought to make if we really really really want to know and do the will of God... It has to start with God's heart. Psalm 37:4 isn't actually about our desires, but it starts with God's desires. If we just simply learn to align our heart with His heart... then surely we'll know His heart and God will honour that which we desire, cause from the start we aligned our desire to His. Perhaps one might ask, how then can we align our heart with God's heart. I believe we do that by knowing Him, His nature, His Character... Who is He in our lives. When we get to know and understand His ways, His principles, then we will know to align our heart to His'.
And of course, knowing Him is not actually automatic. It has a process and it can start by reading and studying His Word.

The wrong thinking though of this world or this generation is that, we often and always think "Success" equals "God's Will". And often, we think "success" equals "Material possession" or "fame" or "profession" or "being on top-of-the-world"... I read one article which also shares this perspective that we, even Christians, are hooked up with the thinking that we are "blessed" if we have "this" and "that" and "those"... which pertains to material things... material gains... never to think that the eternal life we possess as Christians are really really really "great blessings." We are indeed captured in the mind set of this world. And that's Romans 12:2 warns us about. That we are not to be conformed (syn. adapt, follow, comply, agree, etc..) with this world.

Why can't we see that? Why can't we see that day by day, we tend to be easily conform to this world, to the system of this world, on how this world works? previously I've shared something about faith vs. the thinking of this world on "survival"... A concept I believe which the evolution theory started. And now? everytime I see things on God's perspective, I really see a big difference.. I mean... If we really believe we have a God Who is ALL POWERFUL, ALL PRESENT and ALL KNOWING... Why indeed do we worry? it's a very simple illustration Jesus Himself has been teaching... "Why worry?" It doesn't mean we stop working or something, since labor itself God has instituted from the beginning, but why indeed do we add worry to it? And at times, we are even motivated by the things others possess... so easily are we persuaded and deceived... When in reality, we don't actually need these things to live... "games? entertainments? media?" Aren't these more of robbers of our time? instead of spending time with our love ones or family members?

Sometimes I wonder, if Christians really mean on looking or finding and knowing God's Will and obey it... When day by day, I find people, even myself moved by the idea or thought that "I have to do this because this is what the world or the system ought for me to do." And yet, we think we want to do God's Will.

No comments: