Monday, May 23, 2011

Missin’ the Old Folks

At this time, I have some deliberations upon myself. But before my head grow mad, I think I'll just put it into my blogsite. Previously I have been to quite a lot of travels. One unforgettable was one I have shared previously. And most of my travels were ministry-related or church-related, especially my father’s ministry. Recently I had the opportunity to go with my father at Minac as they celebrate their 27th Church Anniversary. It was indeed quite a blessing seeing how the church in Minac is. Further than that, I saw my high school classmate, Ptr. Bill Canuto and yes he is now a pastor. Don’t know him that quite but I know he too is a quiet person as I am. I too know he is of the same faith as I have, but haven’t expected him to be a pastor. Hahaha! Not that I disqualify him as one, but perhaps his quietness and serious look never gave me an impression that he would become one. But nevertheless, I’m glad he became one. =) And I can’t seem to believe what I was seeing but indeed it’s all by God’s grace he is what he is now. But even though, there’s no match of the joy seeing people I’ve known from my high school days being in the ministry itself. It’s quite an amazing sight!

With our visit at Minac, memories seem to be remembered. Not only mine but mostly of those who came and celebrated the anniversary of Minac Biblical Baptist Church. I have no real full recollection of the church there, but the people who helped, ministered, sacrificed and gave their life for that church to be established were remembered, honored as well as recognized. My father was one of them as well as Ma’am Rebecca and Ptr. Pat Eslao. There were others as well who helped, like Ma’am Jona Cosil (not sure the name spelling..=) ) but through their ups and downs, their hardships, their stories were told. One of those remembered were Ptr. Nick Cawaon and Auntie Anita, who are now with the Creator in heaven. Ptr. Dawal was also mentioned and many more… Most of them, my father worked with, hand-in-hand, especially with Ptr. Nick Cawaon, as where my father ministered to, his handiwork can also be seen. And most of them of whom my father worked with are now with the Lord. Definitely a time of remembering and missing them as well.


Just hearing their stories, as well as the stories of whom they ministered to, it was a blessing. It was heart-warming hearing ma’am beck share her story of going not only in Minac but also in Bisal with ma'am Jona, walking for hours on a steep and dangerous pathway, just to teach a lot of kids, eagerly waiting to hear stories of the Bible and get to know Christ. I've heard also the stories of my father, how he ministered in that place, at a young age (perhaps 20s), traveling along with other young people of Loakan, going through rocky and dusty road and going home late at night. It was indeed precious memories, for blood, tears, and sacrifices were made just for the sake of the gospel of Christ.

Sadly noted, that these days, the workers or laborers of Christ (not all of course), seem to seek more of convenience and comfort in the ministry of God; So few seem to lay their life just for the sake of preaching the gospel of Christ. I know at some point i feel awkward saying this for my father almost sacrificed us his family, forsaking us, just for the sake of the ministry. But I understand and know why. I understand that because of it, it was my mother who became the bread winner of our family and has been the bridge for us, their children, to finish our studies. I know, it may have made me bitter over my father, but nevertheless, I first have known Christ as my Lord and my Savior, the reason why I understand why things had to be done. But I'm probably sure that if I have not known Christ, it would be so different. And so having Christ as my Lord and Savior, even at our darkest moments, I had to trust in God no matter what. It may seem as foolishness to men, but trusting God is the only place where I could truly find rest, solace and peace; and doing the Will of God and obeying Him no matter the cost is the sole purpose of why we Christians are still here. And the greatest motivation why we do this, is because of the Love of God dwelling within us. (I John 4:7-8)

And now, as I help with the ministry my father has, a question troubles me. What is indeed the will of my Father in heaven for me? Seeing my father, growing old and that his strength no longer matches his strength when he was young, I look to myself and ask "Am I going to succeed my father?” All along I know my God has led me to be His servant, by means of helping in the ministry and not through being a pastor or full-time worker. People seem to expect that I would succeed him on what he does, as an evangelist. But surely I cannot see that in me. I see myself more of a discipler and a teacher of the Word of God. And that through my life, living as a true & genuine Christian, I can portray and declare the Word of God, not because of my own strength or my own will or anything that I possess, but through the grace of God, He has given upon me. All my life, I’m pointing to Christ (just ain't sure if it's working though). Showing that Christianity is about following Him and His will, truths that seem to be twisted or neglected. The Christian name seems to be only a name and not a life lived and declared. Christianity before is far from the Christianity now. As now, it has become only about rituals, habits, activities, methods, outward appearances and nothing involved about the life-changing, life-enabling, life-empowering, life-molding toward the Lord Jesus Christ. This has been my sole purpose of living, to declare Christ through my life and if it be, to bring back what Christianity is all about. But as far as being a full-time worker or pastorate is concerned, I don't know. But if God leads me, so shall I obey. All I know is God is at work in me. For the challenge for me to take is to disciple and teach young people in Apalan-Guesset. Leading them towards Christ. And not only about Spiritual matters but also physical matters must I face. Like learning the language which I should've learned from the very start, the Ibaloi tongue. As well as learning different skills, I must learn. There are a lot of things to face: things I need to learn, trust to earn, and lives to make an impact and to direct towards the Lord Jesus Christ. It’s all new for me and I know I’m no longer on my comfort zone. And surely, it will truly be a long spiritual struggle or battle but it will also be an avenue once again for God to work in me and my family. And for this may all glory be His!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe you have a call but not this time...nevertheless, part time service is still serving our great God, as the song says, little is much when God is in it...keep on...(jerose)

Naddjudge said...

hehe! thanks! =)