Monday, May 12, 2008

Who am I?

This question has always been a question that bugged me for years. “Who am I?” This question and some other questions like “Why am I here?” Truly it’s a question seeking for a purpose or a reason or something that may make life meaningful. As a matter of fact I could even remember, I have asked these questions to myself even at my early young age, maybe at Grade 2 or 3? I don’t remember too well. But this question has been bugging me all through out my life. And I believe most people are bugged with the same questions as well, maybe not the same question, but question that seeks answer to why one exists. Why would people be? Because if one lives without purpose or understanding why they exist, then indeed we are just dust in the wind. We are like clanging cymbals without giving any pleasurable music to the ears.

Man, seem to have always looked for the reason why or how he exists. Evidence might be the reason why the book “Purpose Driven Life” is one of the best selling books. But at some point, some people are satisfied to simply live, be merry and die. Of course, one does not believe in God and therefore simply believes in his own self and on what he can do. Wherein makes himself the center of his life. But be warned Christians, that such be the setting of your mind. The Bible speaks of such:

1 Corinthians 15 (NIV)
32 If I fought wild beasts in Ephesus for merely human reasons, what have I gained? If the dead are not raised, "Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die." 33 Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character." 34 Come back to your senses as you ought, and stop sinning; for there are some who are ignorant of God—I say this to your shame.

If you will read the whole chapter of Corinthians 15, some Christians believed that there is no resurrection of the dead. Problem is, if such is true all that is connected to our faith, is vain, worthless, without importance or value and we are keeping our faith to nothing. The thing with us Christians is that every thing that we believe is all connected. The birth of Christ, Christ’s life, Christ’s Deity at the same time His humanity, His death, His burial and His resurrection are all connected. If one part of these things is missing or is not true, then like a domino effect, everything else has no worth. Our faith is vain. But praise God that’s not true. Christ fulfilled all this, as it was prophesied in Isaiah 53.

Christ had to go through all the pain and sorrow and death for the sake of us all. In Isaiah 53:5 it says: “But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.” If He had not gone through what He has gone through, then there is no way we would know about the saving knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 9:22
And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

Let me take you back on that day Christ died: He walked and walked and walked, while bearing the cross on His back; with His wounds being caressed by the rough surface of the wood He carries; His feet touching the heat of the ground; a soldier slashes a whip, ripping up his flesh to pieces; yet he must go on… At the top of Mount Golgotha He had finished hiking up a mountain, trying to catch His breath while feeling the sting of His wounds; then a soldier pushed him back to put him over His cross, stretching forth His arms wide open; started to hammer down a nail through His hands and feet; He can do nothing but shout with agony and pain; Then now was raised up in front of the mocking mob to put him to shame and ridiculed by those who don’t understand; and for a few more hours, He gave up the ghost and died.

Such may be the picture of Christ’s death but the truth maybe much worse than ever. This is just a glimpse of His sorrow, just for the sake of saving you and me. And whoever receives and believes Him (Jesus Christ) as their Lord and Savior are now called His own (John 3:16, Acts 16:31); a believer and of which we now call Christians.

Romans 10:9-10 (New International Version)
9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

John 14:6
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

These verses speak of Christ being the only way of salvation nothing more nothing less. Free for all those who receive and believe. And all of these, by the GRACE God gave (Eph. 2:8-9).

Now through out all these verses and what have been said, you might ask “What’s the connection of these things to the question - Who am I?” Well, simple… that is because I am a Christian. As I grow, esp. in the knowledge of my Lord Jesus Christ, the answer to this question, continues to impact me and remind me of, who I am now. Reminds me simply of what road I have to take; reminds me of what does it mean to be a Christian, a follower of Christ. And therefore in every step I take, in every decision I make, I must continually focus on the one whom I follow, that is Christ. Continually focusing on what His will is and not my will. Christ died for me so that I as a Christian would live for Him.

Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Who you are defines what you do and what ever decisions and plans you make. Now the question is who are you?

No comments: