Sunday, July 6, 2014

What we do in missions?

It's been almost 4 years I think being in the ministry of missions. When I committed and decided to join my father in the missions ministry. January of 2011, I remember deciding on that matter. Months before that I had to prepare or prepare people to handle the ministries I was handling at my home church, the Loakan Baptist Church. Though I'm not sure if those preparations were enough, but I've made sure to give note or inform people of my plan to commit in helping in missions. Nobody talked to me about my plans or even counselled me by that time... not that I remember of... Or maybe I've never approached and asked someone about it, except that I gave these thoughts and plans to God. Or should I say have prayed for it already for almost 2 months before the time, starting of the moment my father himself asked for help in the ministry. Therefore, I was glad in doing so. Though there were some hesitances too, knowing and understanding that I too have a heart to be still in the ministries of Loakan Baptist Church, specially on the young people department, and of course the comfortable feeling of knowing and understanding the ins and outs of things in the church. But to be honest? there was also that feeling of wanting to be freed from or that feeling of unburdening the burden of ministries in the church, which at times I felt and question myself, was that the Will of God? I do not know for sure but anyway, the decision was made and a new phase of experience has started.

To give a little background on the missions ministry of my father, he previously was a local missionary too on many places. As far as I know, he started being a driver of a missionary, Ptr. Eric Dawal, who were under the Pocket Testament League. He too was the operator of the old-style film-reel-based projectors.. It is somewhat awesome watching those old Christian movies... and very memorable. So he was like the Robin of Ptr. Dawal going around film-showing and sharing the gospel to places, partnering also with other groups like the Campus Crusades, New Tribes Mission and other Evangelical groups, and anyone who will invite them in to film-show and preach the gospel. So much experiences, but I wasn't able to take part of those... I mean, I did visit some times, but never was always there to see and experience myself, because 1) I was sickly and 2) I was probably still young. A reason why at those times I actually even envied my brothers going out exploring places such the like.

But my father did not simply became a driver-projector man. He said that the league thought of equipping the projector-man to become more useful too in sharing the gospel. So my father probably had to undergo some kind of training.. I think he had some kind of "written courses". He didn't go in a seminary or a bible school or something but I think he was given some kind of a self-studying courses. There's this like old bible exam sheet I saw one time, with questions and my father's handwriting answering the questions. And from then on, his preaching experience started. I can't probably narrate very well of his experience. I can only have a glimpse and vague or dull knowledge of what he has gone through. Nevertheless, I believe he has been greatly used by God reaching to many places. But of course he had many helps as well.

Typically, observing how he does missions, he always bring companions to join in the ministry. Not only one, but many. Perhaps the principle of "the more the merrier" is really great in the missions ministry, unlike the typically one-man team or by partners. Though I think he had his own experiences of being a one-man team or even being with the partner. I remember him mentioning names of those who have been helpful to him in the ministries, and I may not mention them all. These were the late Ptr. Nick Cawaon, Ma'am Rebecca Eslao, Ptr. Pat Eslao... Years before he too had some kind of apprentices or young people who helped him and by this time they are now adults, and some have been pastors and still on the ministry. Like Ptr. Benjie Oriao, Bro. Lorenzo, Marcelo, Ricky Pati, Angel (pronounced as "ang-hel") Balagot mostly coming from Minac Baptist Church. And they were a team sharing God's Word to different places. My father would tell me some stories that he would give some outlines to these young peoples and that they would share it to different areas of their outreaches. And these places were mostly in the Benguet area. Again, I don't have the exact knowledge nor the order of how, when and where they went out or where my father shared first but here are some of the names of places they've been ministering and sharing the gospel: Loacan Itogon, Minac, Bisal, Bolo, Sablan, Pidawan, Bangao, Labey, Andalasi, Cabayawasan, Bingo, Guisset, etc.. As far as I know my father has been part of pioneering churches before. My only vivid knowledge of which church he has pioneered are that of Minac, Bisal, Guisset (which died) Baptist Churches, whereas I think he also mentioned Loacan Itogon and Pidawan, and Sablan of chuches where he was used as an instrument. And I can't remember the others he mentioned. This somehow gives me an understanding, my father may be an evangelist to his native people, the ibalois, since most of these are of the ibaloi ethnic group, which he too is part of. Well? Who else can relate to them? And who knows more of the tradition and culture of the ibalois but my father who even had to go against his own father who was a pagan priest called "mambunong" in our dialect. My father had to go through great ordeal as well, so many great trials and testings.

And now? after him coming back to missions ministry, I can observe what he does and that I have become part of it as well in doing missions or pioneering ministry or the church planting ministry. Being with him within the span of three years, I saw how God greatly moved and have been reaching out to people as the gospel of Christ is preached. But I also saw how the enemy moves as well trying to hinder and destroy the ministry. I see how the enemy can use outside agents disturb the ministry like mockery, ridicules and scorn... and inside agents, my father call it a "spy" or "secret agent", in distracting the ministry. I saw people how that even with clear message of the gospel, and see God's unconditional love, others will see nothing and people hardening their heart. People who become part of the group of believers but in reality they don't really understand what they believe or Who they believe. The dangers of this ministry, people will take sides and will follow people, my father for example, and not Jesus Himself. Even if my father was actually just serving and preaching Christ... The experience of Apostle Paul among the Corinthian believers came to my mind, where they took sides of people, those of Paul, those of Apollos and those of Cephas and those of Christ. I saw how people claim they know and greatly appreciate God's Love and yet hard-up in sharing that kind of Love to others, the kind of love that can even extend to people who we may call enemies. True it is hard, but that's the point, if we are truly His', God's children, His love ought to flow through us and the impossible, possible! I see how easily discouragement and disappointment can turn people not to follow God no more nor to pursue His Will, because if they did, then the gospel should have been spread out and Jesus' kingdom growing, many more people believing... instead the gospel is hid and few believe, because people don't see Christ in the lives of those who profess Christ Jesus..

But as I've said, I also still see and saw God working! How in just unexpected days, people would come. People will hear the gospel, and true conversion happens! And when I speak of true conversion, I mean a life changed! People who never likes to talk, now talking and sharing. People who are easily discouraged and faint when trials and testing comes, now wears a smile and still retain that joy God gives, and even still desiring to be part of the ministry, the harvest field. People who say they are bankrupt and yet can laugh it out knowing and believing God is in control. People who have been without income for a year and yet their needs provided. People growing more and more to be matured spiritually. And truly being part of this, "God's work or harvest field" is such a privilege and of great opportunity. Though this truly is accompanied with great accountability and responsibility.

From these experiences, I truly can make deep comparison or similarity of planting or farming with regard to church planting or pioneering church. And too often I get disappointed and discouraged by churches and even pastors who seem to never get the idea of it. I hate and am angered by the idea that church planting is an easy task and easily accomplished by the works of man, when in reality, TRUE church planting is God's own work or doing. We may be instruments or laborers, but God makes things happen or should I say God changes the hearts of man, not us. Our part is only to obey God's command, and "GO" is one thing I understand that we have to obey first especially on the task of evangelizing and church planting. Our work is not to "WORRY" about other things, that's God's task or work. Do we not understand that it is GOD's Harvest Field? Not ours? And it is He Who decides on what He wants to do in His Harvest Field? Too often, I can't understand why others think they know what must be done when they are not the ones on the field. I mean, sure people can give suggestions and the like, but to enforce and to make proposals that what they think should be happening on other's turf of labor, I think is an insult to what God is doing. This gives me to remembrance about the laborers in Matthew 20:1-16. The laborers were complaining because they compared themselves with others. Too often this kind of attitude produces unpleasant mockery to the one Who Owns the Harvest Field. Can't we just be grateful that we are all in the working force of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords? Can't we just support and encourage one another instead, doing the work of the Father?

Before I joined my father, he stated that he prayed for God's provision and enablement before they started to have again a bible study in a 45-minute ride away from home, knowing that they, my parents, had no more source of income. That I believe started August of 2010. They went off to outreaches, preaching the Word. And father committing to re-start this bible study in a place called Apalan, near Guisset, where a previous church supposed to be was established but died out, without the knowledge that soon it would turn to a bigger ministry. Out of an empty-pocket state, they proceeded. I had my job though at that time, and was willing to help out in any help I could give whether it be finances or manpower. 2011, I joined them every Sundays, the bible study now became a service or sunday school. The Lord added more people to join in. It then extended to more places. At first, Apalan, then Guisset, then Beckel, then Cobabeng, then Gumatdang, then Bingo, then Camisong, then? I don't know... I too never expected that ministry to grow and reach more places. I thought we would be placed in only one place. But before those ministries grew, the family is glad that our home church now then accepted and commissioned my father to be a full-time missionary dated April of 2011. The Loakan Baptist Church now helps my father in providing his needs in the ministry.

Now, there are two pioneered or baby churches, that of in Apalan, called the Living Word Fundamental Baptist Church which also cover the believers in the places of Guisset, Boneco, Bingo, and Camisong; And that of Gumatdang, as of now temporarily named as "Gumatdang Christian Fellowship". A children's ministry is also being held in Beckel, hoping that a new church will be established as well in the area. Whereas, once-a-month bible study is being held in Cobabeng, 2-hours ride away from home, from which we are praying of a church who would partner in this outreach ministry. Praise God for still, God works and touches people to help, Ptr. Dencio Wong took the schedule of first and second sunday to hold bible study in Cobabeng. And this time my father is on-leave or vacation, pastors and brothers in the Lord have been helping, even if they are not of our home church. Ptr. Benjie Oriao, Ptr. Mark Ayano and Bro. Ricky Pati namely. Of course our home church sends also pastors and deacons who are able to teach and also provide transportations. They are of great help to nourish and help these ministries or churches grow.

Though probably comparing our home church who had years, like 50+ years or so with 200+ members, these new baby churches still needs assistance and need to be fed by God's Word for them to grow and learn to stand on their own. A very practical example that I observe with my father, is that, he provides the food we eat every lunch or dinner along with the church members or listeners of bible studies. He too had to provide for his own fuel for our vehicle or for others' vehicle who help in the outreaches. He does this with a hope that soon, these believers after being established, will stand-up with a willing heart and take the initiative to help in those areas. Yes, we have to teach them, that they have to stand-up on their own, provide for their needs, and manage their own ministries. But we have to understand these takes time and not an automatic robot-like command-and-do thing... It should be like the example of helping a baby walk for the first time. You don't say to the baby "go and walk" and just expect them to walk? No! You assist the baby first to stand, and doing this takes time. When he learns to stand and understanding that the baby can carry itself, you then start teaching the baby to walk by assisting him and going through the experience of walking. Again these takes time... Until the one who assists get the feeling, understanding and having that confidence that the baby can do it, then we can let go. But do not forget! The baby can also fall, so be ready to catch or assist again! These same principle should be seen in church planting. Do we need Bible references for this? Consider these verses: 1 Corinthians 3:2, 1 Peter 2:2, Hebrews 5:12. Yup, these verses talks about new Christians being fed with milk (God's Word), but don't we think it's just clear that it takes time and great assistance to help others grow and learn to stand on their own? Just so in planting or farming. Planting seed is one thing, but watering and taking care of the plant is another thing. And all these things comes with time. In fact, it's not our work for a seed to grow, that's God's work. And God has His own timing, we can't assume and depend on our own timing. 

Well, praise God! By this time the two established baby churches can now provide food for themselves, and also give some love gifts for my father and to those who visits and preach God's Word. Even with just a few financial-abled people they give willingly and joyfully. My hope personally would be soon, God would bless them monetarily so that they are provided with their family needs and also that they could give to help others. And, hopefully soon they could give so that they can provide for a worker that would feed them spiritually. This would take time I know, and more than time, God's graciousness and benevolence to provide what is that these believers need, whether physically or spiritually