Friday, October 24, 2008

The Line has been Drawn…

Joshua 24:15
And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Recently, there’s this news that stunned me. It was news I heard from Ptr. Wilmark Canuto, who was at the moment filming a movie about Rapture and Tribulation. He talked about someone familiar to me and probably to Christian music lovers. It was Ray Boltz, stating that he admitted to be gay. (What?) Yes, gay…

It truly made me question, if he was even truly a Christian. His songs were known, and as what we may say, a hit song to Christians. I tried to search the net about this, and truly, there it is. Statements Ray Boltz did admit to the world that he is as what he thinks he is. Part of the article I read spoke also of a church denomination claiming to be Christians but accept gays, lesbians and the like. Reading also some feedbacks and comments, I could really see different sides or perspectives. But perhaps on my side, it made me question, “What is really happening in our world?” Verses started to creep in my mind, speaking of things to come and reminded me of all the warnings the Bible spoke of. The verses that lingered my mind were this:

2 Timothy 4:1-8
I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry. For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Other Christians pointed out verses too and talked about self deception, and about Sodom and Gomorrah. The typical verses that will be brought out when we debate and talk about this topics. While I could only think of are the warnings the Word of God has given us. This also reminded me of one of the singer I’ve read about too. It was Sandi Patti, who too has committed sin. Well, I’m not here to judge them or anything. That belongs to God. But as far as our spiritual life is concerned, how can one know one is truly a Christian or not? Well, only God knows.

As far from what I know, they could be backsliders (Christians who went back to their old ways) or not really Christians at all. One example of a backslider if I remember was Peter (with some fellow fishermen disciples… I believe). They went back to fishing again and left the ministry. But still at the end, they came back to minister again, knowing that Christ did rise again. And, thinking of a self-proclaiming Christian but not really a Christian? I can only think of the Rich young man who approached Christ and ask about attaining eternal life. (Matthew 19:16-22) He called Christ, “Master” and he did all the commandments, but his problem is his heart. For his heart desires and cherishes his riches more than God.

This is one thing I would like to give, a warning and a reminder, to search our hearts. What does our heart contain, or who rules over our own heart? Ourselves or God? I remember the verse Romans 10:9-10. One of the verses I reiterate and make sure that the one I’m leading to Christ, whether a child or a young people, understands this verse.

Romans 10:9-10 (King James Version)
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

This verse speaks of the importance of the heart’s belief or faith, that out of the heart the mouth speaks for confession, and therefore salvation is attained. For the heart contains the truth and the real being of the person and perhaps our own will. The will to give our heart and mind, in other words our own self to God. For when we confess Christ as our Lord and Savior, therefore, we make Him Lord over us. The question is, as Christians, have we truly made that decision in our life? Speaking out or confessing with your mouth alone, the prayer of the sinner, without the heart believing is useless. I believe this is one of the failures of Christian witnessing. We are satisfied when one confesses with the mouth the prayer of the sinner, but the truth is we can never see the heart. It is only the person who confessed and God who can determine the state of the heart.

As for us who call ourselves Christians, this is the time I hope we would search our hearts as well. Have we truly made that decision in our life? Have we truly decided and chosen to follow God and serve Him? Have we truly made Him Lord of our life? The Lord is nearing fast as He unveils and fulfills the mysteries of His Word. And if that day comes? Which side will you be in? On God’s side? Or your own side? I pray that this be a reminder for all of us.

No comments: